Sunday, June 5, 2011

38 Months


In a police escort vehicle

Carter is my very busy boy! I love him so much. He is often naughty but he is also nice. Carter said "My friend said I am naughty and only naughty.But I am naughty and nice!" It really breaks my heart because even though he is hard he needs to be loved too. I know that he can tell a difference and he knows when people love him or not. I hope he listens just a little more to those he loves. Carter and I had a conversation and he told me that he likes himself and he likes me and that when he likes himself he is naughty and when he likes me he is nice.
Island Park, ID

Carter has gotten kicked out of nursery the last few weeks. His teacher has been gone the last little bit so I think that has greatly contributed to the problem. The other portion is that not very many other people have the patience needed to handle him. It really upset me when he was removed from nursery within the first 5 minutes a few weeks ago. They said "well he wants his teacher and she's not here and he was making a mess and not listening so here you go." Really 5 minutes? I understand he can be hard but patience and vigilance is key to success with an extra active child!

I am so grateful for my friend his nursery teacher for loving Carter. She has both patience and vigilance much more than I do. She stood up for him when a comment was made about how they where happy he was gone last week while we were out of town. She loves him and every kids needs that. We are trying with Carter to get him to behave he did not get his bribe reward today after church. I went to get my report and apparently he escaped nursery and my friend pregnant and in heels had to chase him down twice. Other that that Carter said he was good. I went over not eating other's snacks and listening and raising your hand and no throwing toys and folding your arms for pray but I forgot the no running away bit. I guess we try again next week.

For awhile I was pretty upset with the comments people have been saying to me about him. It made me feel like I was a bad mom and if I could just figure it all out he would be a quiet, perfect, little angel you know the type that are seen not heard? But the more I thought about it and talked with others the more I realized that I have a wonderful child! I love him. I wish he would listen a little more and be a little softer. But I love that he is curious and busy.

Kids Dig Rigs

Ryan is busy always working on a project always making things better. Ryan has so many good qualities. He wouldn't have those if he had not been so busy as a boy. You should see that man clean a house.. or really do anything it floors me how much smarter and quicker he is at things than others.. IE me. (but that is a different story) :)

I can tell that Carter will do something with his life because he is a doer! This is a wonderful thing! I just need to help him learn to control his energy a little bit. I am open for ideas- have any great ones??

side note. I have heard people make comments about leashes and children about how horrible it is etc. I think you should not judge unless you have had a hard child.. What do you think about leases?? Carter loves his monkey and how else was I suppose to walk to the river with a baby in a carrier and a 2 year old and all come back alive and dry? We got the monkey last summer when I didn't have my car and we were living in an apartment. We have used it other times but not too terribly often.
Painting

thanks for reading my long ramble of a post.

10 comments:

Katie said...

Liz, if I had to guess I would imagine that people who comment on Carter probably have girls, HAHA. I swear there are "people who have girls" cliques and "people who have boys" cliques and neither one understands the other. My boys are busy and crazy and I love it. And I love the crazy boys in my nursery too. Its just an adjustment for some people and heck they probably NEED the adjustment. Lucky for us, we get to grow and learn with our boys every day!! So much stronger for it too! You're a great mom Liz!

Angela S said...

I totally get it. I have Tyler and he and Carter could be buds. It is hard having people talk about how your son is bad but you know they say their own kids are bad so whatever. Ty is an awesome kid but struggles and forgets but is still a great kid. Carter is a doll, I hope you get nursery worked out. It took us until CTR 7 to get it covered and even this year he's run away and yelled and thrown a tantrum.

Laurie said...

I think leashes are a boon to Mothers with active boys (or girls). I had a Mother my Mother's age tell me how she went to a shoe repair place when her boys were small and had them construct a child's leash for her. Probably around 1958. Three year olds are delightful and I can't wait for our trip and the chance to get to know your boys.

Leavitt's said...

sorry about the negative comments, some people just don't understand. Good luck

Nathan and Bonnie said...

I hear you about leashes! I once hear somebody say that they are a form of child abuse. WHATEVER! I think they are gREAT! Especially if you have a busy, active kid! Better to be on a leash than LOST! I am so happy that Tanner is finally getting over his "Carter is naughty" thing (for the record, we have been discussing it EVERY night, and saying nice things about Carter!). And I agree wholeheartedly that this is purely ridiculous that they brought him to you after FIVE minutes. We never brought kids to their parents when I was in nursery unless they were sick or needed to be changed/go potty.

Tim and Maria Jones said...

Sounds like you've had a tough time lately. I don't have any good advice for you, but I wish you the best! Just think, you will never be bored! Love you tons!

Nicci said...

I want a monkey leash for our kiddo too. I think they're fine.
And Ryan was an active kid, so it seems like Carter is a lot like him. Eventually he'll calm down, and I'm glad you have some friends that understand him at church. He needs lovin too!

Paula said...

Having gone through it with Ryan word of advice, forgive those people so you can move forward. It won't help Carter if you get offended. I am not saying they are right but Carter is who matters here and you need the spirit to whisper to you what to do for him. You are Carter's mother for a reason because you have the gifts and vision of who he really is. Never question your gifts because they are amazing. Use your vision to keep the course. We have complete confidence in you as a mother.

Laurie said...

Verna was totally surprised that any child would be sent out of nursery. They have some children in their ward that have never behaved; in church or in nursery and have never been sent out. Verna has subed many times there; 'they are just so cute' she said.

*~McGarys~* said...

I feel ya on people saying this about the child that you love with all your heart. It is not only hard on them but it dose take a toll on you as a parent. We nurture our children the best way that we know how and sometimes it feels like we are not being very successful. But not everyone know how to handle children that are more busy. Noah is very busy for us at church as well. I had one of the ladies come to me and tell me that he is naughty and that we need to sit in with him because he isn't very good for them. BLAH!!!! I wanted to tell her that she needs to quit being mean to him. Because she was. So I know what you mean but I know that you try hard to make him choose the right and to be who he is. The most important part is that we know that they always need our love.