Friday, April 17, 2009

New Toy

For a while now I have wanted to make a toy for Carter that he will remember long into his adulthood. I contemplated blocks, cars, etc - but I finally decided to build him a busy box. So 20 switches later, 16 LEDs, 25 feet of wire, lots of electrical tape and solder, 2 burns, two band aids, 4 broken drill bits, and a few late nights, it is done. I ended up making it out of aluminum so it will withstand Carter and then some, and left room in it so I can update it or add new items. Currently it plays about 15 sounds depending on the combo of switches and even has a tilt sensor that flashes a red light. I will eventually add a Halmark card song into it and a vibrating weight to make it hard to hold or something. If you have any suggestions let me know.

What is this picture?

Guts
Work in progress the J has LEDs that shine through the holes
Completed

3 comments:

Nicci said...

cool toy!!
And I found the same spot you photographed on Google Maps, but I can't read the sign. Is it your apartment or townhome complex?

Paula said...

Looks like the apartments around Walmart. Like the busy box. What did you do for easter? Did you hide Carter's Easter basket. Mom

Mel said...

Looks like a cool toy. Can you post a video of it going? I'd like to see what it can do!