Thursday, January 21, 2010

dishwasher research

My dishes have not been getting clean. Which is irritating why do I have a dishwasher if not to wash my dishes? hmm.

I tried to fix the problem by adding a rinse aid and switching to more pricey dish soap. Not that big of change was seen.

BUT I have done some more research and thought I would share what I have gleaned:

  • Liquid dishwasher soup will make your problem worse. (good to know cause I have like 4 bottles in my storage closet)
  • White Vinegar is your friend. (I heard you can put it in where you add your rinse aid)
That's it. But it works. I got some cheap regular dish soap and I put that in the main wash (makes since the grainy soap will help remove grim maybe?)I put the liquid in the prewash and during the cycle I open up the dishwasher and throw in some vinegar.

My spoons are sparkling again!

4 comments:

Angela S said...

Check at wal-mart and target for a product for LemiShine or order it online. Seriously if you have hard water which we did there it makes all the difference in the world. I heard about it from the Pioneer woman, ordered a small case right away and now get it at wal-mart. It saved our dishwasher. Check your jets or the places water comes out if they are blocked and you want a FAST solution, or even if you can't see they are but want to make sure run a load with Muratic acid, its acid for adjusting ph in a pool. Ours was about 70% blocked by calcium. That fixed it and in the last year it hasn't built up any more because of the lemi shine. Loads with lemi shine get cleaner than without. I still use a rinse aid but one soap slot gets soup and the other lemi shine.

When we moved here our dishes weren't getting clean either. I noticed the Johnstons had the same problem and we talked to someone, maybe them and they said getting a new dishwasher didnt solve the problem because it was the water. So please go to walmart and target, find the $3.60 lemi shine and try it.

Paula said...

Go look at our blog we updated again.

Nicci said...

throw vinegar where?

Laurie said...

I wonder how much acid would you need? Cheaper than a new dishwasher .. but I still think I need a new one.