I just saw my wonderful wife's post and decided to add some details. Some may think that ceramics is unmanly, but listen to this. So I made the vase, and then put it in a 1800 degree oven for about a day. Then after cooling I used some industrial sanding paper to smooth out some of the corners. Afterwards I put it back into a kiln (thats a ceramic oven) and heated it until it was 1500 degrees, pulled it out red hot, put it into a metal can filled with sawdust, and made a fire so hot that you couldn't get close without loosing some hair.

The sawdust box was then covered so that the lack of oxygen would cause carbonization of the clay turning it jet black. After it was removed from the can it was dropped in a bucket of water, which it actually caused to boil when left in the hollow of the vase. Talk about heat. So yes I really enjoy this play time I get.
For my next project I want to use some iron wire and melt it into the clay for some fun. If you have any ideas let me know.
2 comments:
WOW. You did a great job of making that sound manly!
Just don't burn your leg hair - remember how horrible that smelt after fire jumping? Your leg hair and my eyebrows smelled for a week!
Post a Comment